By Megan Donawa, EFDA, CDA, BA
Being a dental assistant is kind of like being a superhero. We use our abilities beyond those of ordinary people and demolish villains like dental fear, anxiety, and the biggest culprit: tooth decay and periodontal disease. Although these moments of strength are stealth-like, these skills never go unnoticed. Here are 10 times your dental assistant has (flawlessly) saved the day:
- Using our mind-reading powers, your treatment room is set up for any and every step within your patient’s appointment…including those unexpected times of treatments that have gone rogue.
- We use our accelerated healing powers to talk a patient off the ledge of dental anxiety and fears (because when you’re in our chair, everything is going to be okay).
- The best heroes have control over patient documents like health history, radiographs, and past dental history to better prepare you for the battle against oral pathology!
- Taking advantage of our super speed, we’re able to maneuver our complete set up from a simple filling to a surgical extraction without breaking a sweat.
- Magically projecting our knowledge of insurance basics to dominate the quality of communication between the patient and the team. (Because true champions are cross trained!)
- Delicately handing off our patient to the front office to schedule their next treatment to ensure teamwork to serve dental justice.
- With organization as our ammunition, we create an effortless workflow to communicate with you.
- Hitting back self-doubt with a vengeance and trusting the processes that we’ve put into place for patient care.
- Using our supernova voice to bring our best input from the doctor-assistant side to the table during meetings and huddles.
- Dental crime never sleeps, so we set back up to save the day again… tomorrow.
Megan Donawa is right on about the incredible and often underappreciated value of a good dental assistant. I always tried to remind myself that their compassionate and detailed care was why they were my practices best asset.